We all have had experienced wifi at-least once in our life. movies, music, Facebook, and lot more, we have a lot good times with wifi technology, but is time to say goodbye to wifi and welcome the new and advanced Li-Fi technology (Light Fidelity) to even speed up our digital needs. you may be confused, If you have listened to this for the first time. Li-fi is a new technology of light-based wireless communication, which is 100 times faster than our Wifi technology, which we are using currently. Let’s get into the depth of new Li-fi technology in the wireless communication system.
What is Li-Fi technology?
Li-fi (Light Fidelity) is a visible light communication system (VLC). The new Li-Fi technology uses the common household LED (Light Emitting Diodes) for data transfer and communication between devices, with the speed of data transfer rate up to 224 gigabytes per second. the Li-Fi is a bidirectional mobile communication technology system, which can be used to off-load data from existing wi-fi networks.
How Li-Fi Change the World?
History of Li-Fi?
The term Li-Fi was introduced for the first time in 2011, by Edinburgh professor Harald Haas. During a TED talk, he has envisioned LED’s that could act as wireless routers, is led a way to light based communication technology system that delivers 100 times faster data transfer than wi-fi between two Li-fi enabled devices.
After four years, in 2012 Mr Harald Haas started a company “pure Li-Fi” with a goal to be the world leader in Visible Light Communications (VLC) technology.
How Li-Fi works?
The Li-Fi technology is very similar to the Wi-fi, both transmit data electromagnetically. While the wifi uses radio waves to communicate, the new Li fi technology uses Light Visible Communication (VLC) technology to data transfer.
A LED (Light Emitting Diode) is a two-lead semiconductor light source, means the current of electricity supplied to a LED will be fluctuated, dipped and dimmed at the extremely high frequency, which a human eye can’t see.
Using Signal Processing Technology, data signals will be embedded into the stream of light which is emitted by LED. This allows data transfer by modulating a stream of the LED light source at different frequency levels. It then the signals received by photo-diode detectors, and can be converted into electrical signals.
These electrical signals then converted back into binary data stream like other radio systems, thus we can transfer data at the extremely high speed which is 100 times faster than present wi-fi.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Li-Fi and Li-Fi vs Wi-Fi:
- Efficiency: Li-Fi is a visible light communication (VLC) technology. LED lights now we are already using in our offices and homes can be used to transmit data. To transmit the data signal the LED bulbs should be power-on. In the daytime, when there is no need for electrical lights to be power-on, It can be reduced to a point to that human eye can’t notice but it will still on and working. Also, it is very cost effective and as well as energy.
- Availability: Wherever the light source is available, there can be the Internet. Since, LED lights are everywhere, with new light-based wi-fi technology li-fi, it can be possible to transmit high-speed data.
- Security: One of the major advantages of Li-Fi is security. Since light cannot pass through non-transparent objects so Li-Fi network only is accessed by the users within the room.
- Network sharing cannot possible without the light source.
- Li-fi is a visible light communication (VLC) technology so light can’t penetrate walls. The signal range is limited by physical barriers.
- One of the major disadvantages of Li-Fi is the Interception of signals. Other sources of light in a room or sunlight at outdoors may interfere with the signals. This will cause slow internet.
Let us know your thoughts on this by commenting below. Please Like and Follow us on social media for more latest updates.